When it comes to ensuring that you have the best possible experience in terms of oral function and health, many people choose to address the issues they have by getting dentures. Dentures are suitable for people who want to replace missing teeth (no remaining teeth), improve the aesthetics of their smile, or improve facial shape issues like sagging caused by missing teeth.
At The Dental Lounge, we offer both dentures and overdentures as services, depending on the needs and desires of the patient. Like dentures, overdentures address a full replacement of your teeth. While they look like conventional dentures, the internal structure is where we find the differences and benefits.
What Exactly Are Overdentures?
Much like dentures, overdentures are removable dental prosthesis that replicates missing teeth, i.e., false teeth. Overdentures can rest on natural teeth, the roots of natural teeth, and most commonly, dental implants: overdentures are secured in your mouth by titanium dental implants and offer a more secure and stable solution than traditional dentures. It uses the benefits of both dentures (full tooth arch replacement) and implants (secure fixtures in the mouth).
Since the overdentures “snap” onto your implants, they are also sometimes called Snap-On dentures or even referred to as removable implant dentures when they are not affixed to the implant with screws.
Benefits Of Choosing Overdentures
If you opt for overdentures, you will be able to enjoy the following benefits:
- No need to hassle with adhesives or removing of the dentures
- Offers a more comfortable feel and fit
- More stable and secure than conventional dentures
- Minimal number of dental implants required
- Allows you to restore proper oral function such as speaking and chewing, which in turn leads to better diet and overall health
- Better bite force distribution
- Implants help preserve the integrity of the jawbone
- Creates a greater sense of reliability and confidence
- Provides relief in terms of ensuring less gum irritation
- No need to remove for cleaning – much less fuss than conventional dentures
- Allows for a more overall natural and youthful appearance of the face and mouth
- Long-lasting and robust
- Creates a more natural adjustment to the dentures since patients no longer feel the need to compensate for the fact that dentures are held in place merely through suction and adhesion
The drawbacks of overdentures are that they are more invasive as a surgical process, they may cost more (in the short term at least), and if not cleaned properly, they may be prone to infection and inflammation.
What To Expect From Your Overdenture Procedure
Firstly, you need to be prepared for a multi-step procedure that requires a few visits. If this is not suitable for your needs, you could speak to your dental professional about our more advanced All-On-4 method, which offers same-day implants. During the initial phase, we will conduct a number of consultations and exams, including x-rays and model creation of your existing teeth. There may be a need for bone or tissue grafts in preparation for the implants. After this, dental implants will be placed into the jaw and given time to heal before the denture installation. Slight modifications may be necessary, but once all is deemed well-fitting and healed, you will be able to carry on with your life with custom-made snapped in overdentures.
Get Your Smile Back – Gain The Confidence And Functionality That Overdentures Can Provide
Speak to our team at The Dental Lounge about removable implant dentures today by calling (954) 686 5729. If you would like to request an appointment, feel free to do so online here