At The Dental Lounge, we have seen our fair share of nervous patients. We fully understand how nerve-wracking a visit to us may be to some patients, and we understand that many patients struggle with Dentophobia. While we do everything in our practice to make each and every patient feel calm, comfortable, and stress-free, we also wanted to provide some helpful tips for patients who have this common phobia.
This phobia can emerge from genetics or behavior or even a bad dental experience one may have had as a child.This can vary significantly from patient to patient.
What Is Dentophobia According To Our Dentist In Pompano Beach?
Affecting patients of all ages, Dentophobia is a common fear of the dentist. This phobia may be mild in some patients, while other patients may suffer from severe levels of this phobia, which can sometimes lead to serious health problems.
This phobia can be comprised of one or more of the following elements:
- The Actual Dentist
- Fear Of Pain
- Fear Of Needles
- Fear Of Sounds And Smells
- Fear Of Numbness Or Gagging
Use These Recommendations From Our Dentist In Pompano Beach
We understand that this phobia cannot be resolved in the blink of an eye. Phobias are real. And while we advocate for regular check-ups and visits to our dentist rooms, we understand that real treatment is required over a process. While waiting too long to fix a tooth problem could lead to further negative consequences, and avoiding the dentist at all costs will result in tooth decay and poor oral health, we recommend patients suffering from this phobia look at their treatment options so that they do not have to suffer needlessly. Some treatment options to consider:
- Consult a trained, qualified mental health professional
- Opt for hypnosis treatment
- Undergo cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Speak to your GP about anxiety medication
- Choose the right dentist you feel comfortable with
When your phobia is at a manageable level, speak to us and allow us to ease your anxiety. We also suggest that you follow these tips:
- When you call to make an appointment, please tell us that you suffer from this phobia
- Create a signal with your Dentist In Pompano Beach when you need to take a break
- Bring a portable DVD player or music player with you to distract you
- Speak to us about suitable sedatives or calming medication
- Remember that you are always in control
At The Dental Lounge we have many options to help you feel comfortable and relaxed. We have a private surgical suite, as well as options like IV Sedation and nitrous oxide to help calm your fears.If you would like to request an appointment with our friendly Dentist In Pompano Beach, please use our convenient online contact form or call us at (954) 686 5729. Our team at The Dental Lounge is ready to take care of all needs and ensure that you experience less anxiety when being treated by us.